Saturday, May 28, 2005

Goober-Redneck Graduation

I knew when I arrived last night that this year's graduation would hold much of the same--long speeches from class leaders offering advice to their fellow classmates, a what-would-seem-to-last-40-days diploma ceremony, so on so on, and of course, a plethora of rednecks in the audience. That is a given.

The speeches were actually better than usual. A couple of them were a little rough, but their were two that I particularly enjoyed. Then came the diploma distribution...and, with it of course, the screaming, hooting 'rednecks.' Two specific examples stand out above the rest: the screaming of "yea sexy mama" as Gina Collins accepted her diploma, and the blowing of an air horn (yes an airhorn, as in the kind one might blow at a sporting event or on a boat if the fog is rather thick) as this group's person accepted his/her diploma. Had somebody shouted "Get-er-done" and/or rang a cowbell, the redneck celebration would have been complete.

This sort of thing is not unique to the graduating class of 2005, and I doubt it's unique only to Hampshire High School. Maybe I'm just a snob, but I just don't see graduation as the proper time to shout "sexy mama" or to blow an air horn...maybe that's just me?

At any rate, congratulations Graduates. If your next few months are anything like mine were, you will spend the first few saying how much you miss high school, but fear not, because that quickly passes and moves on to the celebration of the fact that you are no longer in high school. I have come to realize that I miss my friends from high school, but I definitely don't miss high school in and of itself.

I'll try to be more frequent with my updates..busy with work and I apologize profusely.

2 Comments:

At 5:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, Jeff--I agree with your dismay about the casualness of graduation. Back in the days of dinosaurs, when I graduated from HHS, graduation was a solemn event. Of course it was smaller, held in the gym, and everyone dressed up--audience and graduates alike. Perhaps having it outside contributes to the sports-like atmosphere. So the question arises-- do you hold it inside, limiting the available tickets and emphasizing the pomp and circumstances--or do you continue to hold it outside whenever possible and accept the "rednecking" as an expression of happiness and congratulations to the new graduate?
Mrs. C

 
At 8:37 PM, Blogger Jeff said...

Mrs. C-

I'm glad I'm not the only person who thinks that graduation should be much more formal than it is. I think it's sad that we can't celebrate graduation without cowbells, airhorns and lots of shouting of (sometimes) obscene comments. It irritates me because I think that the graduates have worked hard and should be commended in an 'adult' way (even though it's usually the adults who use the cowbells etc) for all they've done because they are, in a way, passing for KID to ADULT. I guess I'm just old fashioned--but I that is just the way I see things.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home