Tuesday, May 17, 2005

Back on Track

Firstly, let me apologize for my posting, or lack-there-of, as of late. Finals came and required much attention, then moving out, helping my grandmother move, unpacking her stuff, unpacking my stuff and on top of it all my computer had a little bug which required extraction. Fear not, though, for I believe all is now well and with a little luck my regular posting (including Friday-Mixups) will be back on schedule.

Secondly, let me say that I am greatly relieved that the year is up. I loved my first year, but I was (still am) extremely tired and really need(ed) a break. It was mucho enjoyable to have a couple (three) days to myself with no agenda--no running for exams, eating on a schedule, working, nothing. Just me and home. I used those three days to do a variety of activities. I began weeding the flower beds and cleaning out the pond. My pond is coming along nicely, though it's not quite finished, and the Azalea bushes outside of my bedroom window look awesome this year:


A close up of my Azalea bushes. Posted by Hello
I was also able to enjoy the Hampshire Band's Spring Concert and visit some old 'friends' at HHS. I think it's interesting to go back to the high school. The reaction of former teachers is so interesting and each teacher has his/her own unique reaction. Some teachers, like Miss Broderick, treat you the same as always, speaking to you like an intelligent adult. Other teachers, who had treated you like the student you were, now treat you like an adult, talking to you like an old friend as they hold back on NOTHING, giving you every last drop of their opinion or of the current gossip that is dominating the everyday conversation. Other teachers still treat you like a little kid or a current HHS student. Regardless of the treatment, it's still quite interesting to experience all of this.
One of my teachers and I had a long talk about everything that is going on at HHS and in the county. She and I decided that, for the most part, the young teachers who are in the schools today are to blame for the problem, because they treat teaching like a JOB, which, as we know, it is not. It has to be more than a job--that has always been my thought, and I hope that I hold on to that belief as I complete my degree and go on to be an educator. Talking about the problems of the local education system is sad, sometimes, because I think it's human nature NOT to want to hear bad about something you've been a part of for so long. It is also scary to think that in just a few years I could be in the midst of all these problems. At the same time, though, it is interesting to hear how many of the veteran teachers in the system look to us--people of my age who are currently working on their degree--as the solution to all of the problems. I really don't know that we will be able to live up to the expectations of many of our former educators, but I for one hope that I can. Some of these so called 'old' teachers are some of the best people I have ever had the opportunity to know.
I am rambling now.
I think we'll call it a night. Back to a normal schedule ASAP. Hope all is going well for Hampshire-Shepherdians (as Casey M. calls us) and for all the rest of the students who are out or are about to be out of school.

2 Comments:

At 7:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Jeff. I'm glad you're posting again. First of all, I agree with everything you said about the teachers response to our coming to visit...maybe that's why I like visiting so much..it is different...in a good way, most of the time. Second, I think that if anyone is going to come back and better Hampshire Co.'s school system instead of just complaining about it, it will be YOU. That's why so many teachers speak with you about it and speak of their dependence on you. You have the determination and the passion of a true teacher's heart that will get the job done. ;) I hope you're still enjoying your break...I know you felt a little tried and annoyed that one day, but I hope it gets better and you get to see more of your Courtney. ;)
Love and miss you lots.
Casey

 
At 10:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I MISS YOU JEFF! It was good to talk to you the other day tho for a lil bit. I saw courtney in the Chinese place yesterday. What are the plans for tomorrow and graduation practice? Give me a call or have Heather or someone call if you decide to get together afterwards..if you don't mind ;). Love you and I miss my Hampshire_Shepherdians a whole bunch!!!!
*Casey

 

Post a Comment

<< Home