Tuesday, March 29, 2005

Heat of the Moment or Coldness of the Truth?

As Samuel L. Jackson's character in Jurassic Park said, "hold on to your butts!" For the first time since I started this blog a little over 8 months ago, I'm sitting down to write a post with no agenda. That's right, no agenda.

Before we begin today's post, I have a game to play! I got this from Casey's Xanga...here we go:

If you read this, even if I don't speak to you often, you must post a memory of
me. It can be anything you want, it can be good or bad, just so long as it happened. Then post this message to your journal. See what people remember about you.Oh, and if you leave me a memory and post this message to your blog, maybe I'll post one back...

Kind of goofy, but an interesting concept nonetheless. Plus, it provides an excuse to sit and think back on old times...

Enough of that.

A group of us was having a discussion the other day about 'the heat of the moment.' This is a statement which has always bothered me.

I don't know what it is about this statement that aggravates me so, but I just can't stand it. I suppose it's the fact that people use it as an excuse to afford legitimacy to an action which would otherwise be looked down upon by one's peers and often one's self. In other words, people use 'heat of the moment' to explain something that they want to believe has no explanation, when truly the explanation is quite simple and summed up in this fantastic quotation from Bill Clinton: "I did it because I could!" (or 'because I wanted to' or 'because I knew I'd enjoy it' or 'because I couldn't see a reason not to). This poses the question: Can things be better explained by the heat of the moment, or by the coldness of the truth?

This disgusting statement is applied in many court cases which may be considered 'crimes of passion.' While, on a rare occasion, usually in the case of killing somebody in self defense or defense of others, this idea of reacting without thought may be true, for the majority of instances, it is not. It simply is not.

Although much thought may not have been applied to the decision at hand, at least some thought was. Mary did not have consensual sex with her boyfriend 'on accident in the heat of the moment.' No. This is simply wrong. At some point she, and her boyfriend, had to make a decision to allow the situation to advance to the point of no return. At some point, something had to 'click' in her (and his) head and say, 'are you sure you want to do this?' Although the response may have come quickly with little deliberation, an affirmative answer to the question posed by one's conscience had to have been derived. That's the cold truth!

TODAY'S MORAL: I don't think that there is such a thing as 'in the heat of the moment.' I stand firm in my belief that things can get out of hand with little thought or realization, but in the end I truly believe that a conscious yes or no decision HAS to be (or have been) made for a situation to develop. I don't know. Maybe I'm the only one who thinks this way...thoughts?

4 Comments:

At 4:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jeff,

You know what I think about the heat of the moment subject. I wanted to leave a memory, and then later leave one for Case and Jill. My memory is that everytime we meet at Aub and Lyd's house we tell secrets and talk about everyone. Then everyone is always like you see each other everyday, go talk to someone else (wink, wink). You know its more fun if we talk about everyone else:D. We love doing it!!!

Love
Heather

 
At 3:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear "Pappy" Jeff,

I completely agree with you on the heat of the moment issue and I'm proud of you for discussing it on here.

Now for my favorite memory of you: I honestly can't think of just ONE. I have to say though, that I love all the times me you and Heather have had heart to hearts. They always mean a lot to me...more than either of you will ever know. And some of my favorite memories are just of listening to you talk...and listening to what you have to say about things..b/c you're very funny sometimes, always straight forward and you always say what Im thinking, but won't..haha. I guess one of my favorites, even though it wasn't that exciting was when we went to get your oil changed and you took me to get my cotton candy blizzard, I saw Charles Town for the first time, and then we washed your Jeep. That was the last time I will ever have had cotton candy blizzard...and it was because of you :)

Love you Jeff.
Casey

 
At 10:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey babe,

Since you yelled at me a couple of days ago for not posting a memory about you I'll do it now...lol.
You know that I have so many great memories about you and the times we spend together, and i can't really pick a favorite cause I absolutely love every memory I have of you. One memory is the time we went to target on black friday and you smelled that really strong candle. I'll never forget the sound you made, it made me laugh so hard and you looked so cute. Another memory would have to be when you took me out for my 18th birthday I had so much fun with you and I'll never forget that day. I'll never forget that very special present you got me (you know what I'm talking about) and the pictures we took together, and even though you were dissappointed that some of our plans didn't work out I wouldn't trade that day for anything.
Oh another memory is when you're trying to sing to me in your jeep whenever we go on a date (you know the voice I'm talking about) it makes me laugh so hard and I love it so much when you make me laugh.
Well I definatly have more memories of you but those are just some that mean the most to me.

I love you so much,
Court

 
At 11:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jeff,
Like you said, in general, our online talks were some of the best memories and lunch at "the table" were also up there at the top.

But my favorite memory is anytime that we goof around on the way to/from somewhere or go up to the bakery. Going to breakfast last summer was fun too and I'll always appreciate our friendship.

Love,
Jillian

 

Post a Comment

<< Home