Tuesday, February 15, 2005

I Got Those Shepherd U Blues

Sometimes Shepherd University, well really the people (both staff and students) of the University, can just be awful. This terrible outlook at things is not limited to only people/situations I don't like, it is also extended to people whom I consider friends.

We all go through stress. Though it affects us all in different ways, most of us get rather cranky (we, to use Casey's words, turn into 'crabs'). It is certainly understandable that crabiness can be expected during extreme stress (IE midterms etc), but sometimes I just get tired of hearing about it.

What bothers me most is people who are unwilling to help themselves. Here's some advice: if you can't wait until the last minute to write a paper and put out something that your professor wants to read, then don't. And if you do, don't bitch about it when your paper sucks and you get a bad grade. Here's another word to the wise: if you can't sit there and listen to 6 weeks of lecture without taking a note and remember everything, then don't bitch about it when you miserably fail a test. One more helpful hint: if you can't B.S. your way through an essay because you were too damn lazy to read the SPARK NOTES about a book, don't come crying to me with your sob story because you 'didn't have a clue what to write about.' Some people just drive me bonkers with this crap.

There is no excuse for this. The amount of disappointment I have in some of my friends the last few weeks, particularly one who thinks it smart just to give up and stop trying, is something I never imagined I was capable of.

In high school, I thought it was my place to grab my friends by their noses and drag them through stuff. Unfortunately, I have to think more about dragging my own big butt through college. I don't have the time, energy or resources to pull 3 or 4 people through Shepherd. I wish I did, but I don't. At first this made me feel guilty. Now, though, I don't feel guilty. I feel sad because I know that a lot of potential is being wasted, but I just can't concentrate on everybody else. College is that time in life when we all need to grow up and take responsibility for our own actions!

This annoyance does not stop with just a group of people I know, though. The staff at Shepherd is sometimes remarkably stupid. How a VICE PRESIDENT can call and say, "uh, gee, I , uh, lost my cell phone. I don't know if I lost it lost it or just misplaced it in my car somewhere. Could you, uh, see if it's somewhere around there?!" This person is a VICE FREAKING PRESIDENT OF THE UNIVERSITY.

It doesn't stop there, either though. Here's a little notice to all my 'homies' in the dining hall. Pull up your pants. When I am standing in line to get my turkey sandwich, I do not, ever, under any circumstances want to see your ass hanging out. Put it away 'dawg.'

I also don't like you morons who stop right on the sidewalk to have a little chat. Move it over sparky, I'm trying to get through.

It's just been one of those weeks. Stop talking to me, looking at me, breathing my air, or anything else unless I grant you permission because I'm cranky (it's probably your fault if you fall into any of the above groups) and chances are, I probably don't like you.

Have a wonderful afternoon!

1 Comments:

At 2:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're the man, especially when it comes to unwanted naked bottoms in the lunch line. :)

Sissy Willis
http://sisu.typepad.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home