Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Just for the fun of it

The blogs have been quiet today, and I haven't really been sparked by anything to write something of substance.  And so instead I will have a little fun via this activity provided by The Anchoress:

1. Egg nog or hot chocolate? Coffee or sweet tea (the anytime beverage)

2. Does Santa wrap presents or just sit them under the tree? Wraps. Always has, always will.

3. Colored lights on tree/house or white? Well that changes from time to time.  When I was little, it was colored lights on the tree, white lights on the house.  Now it's white lights on the tree, colored lights on the house.

4. Do you hang mistletoe? We haven't in a long time.

5. When do you put your decorations up? Well it used to be the weekend after Thanksgiving, but this year school has prevented me from helping decorate.  I think my parents are almost done...

6. What is your favorite holiday dish (excluding dessert)?  Sweet taters and/or ham...it's hard to decide. 

7. Favorite holiday memory as a child: There are some good ones.  One would be the time mom bought--oops, i mean santa brought--a new Rangers jersey (white Brian Leetch jersey which I still have) and wrapped it in a boot box.  I thought i'd gotten boots (exciting) so I didn't open the box.  Mom had to keep probing me to "try the boots on." Finally I gave up and said ,"OK." The jersey was way better than boots...

Cooking with my Grandma on Dad's side and doing dishes with my grandma on mom's side are also good memories.

8. When and how did you learn the truth about Santa? I don't know.  I don't remember ever believing to be honest.  I always hated going to 'sit on santa's lap' at the mall, though. 

9. Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve? I'm almost ashamed to admit that we always open our gifts on Christmas Eve. It was always easier that way when i was little because we did a lot of visiting on Christmas Eve.  Before we left, Mom would send us to the car and she'd set out all the presents so that when we got back it was like Santa had already come.  Then we could sleep in (or get up early to play) on Christmas day.

10. How do you decorate your Christmas tree? Lights and ornaments, garlands (not that tacky ice crap either), beads and a star on top. There is, however, some debate about Christmas tree decorations at my house.  When I was little, mom would string cranberries and popcorn and I always liked that, but it was a lot of work and, to be honest, nobody ever helped her.  Also, I like an Angel on top, but mom voted the angel out a couple years back.

11. Snow! Love it or dread it? Love it.  The smell. The feel. The sound.  The look.  The feeling of knowing I get to sleep in because school is canceled.  Oh how wonderful.

12. Can you ice skate? Yup.

13. Do you remember your favorite gift? Received?  Probably the jersey I talked about above.  Also my Darth Vader mask that i got when I was little.  And last year Courtney did a great job.  She surprised me the most with an updated Rangers jersey (Which i love).  Given?  Either these fancy snowglobes I got all my friends a couple years back OR a painting I bought my grandmother last year.

14. What’s the most important thing about the holidays for you? Too many good ones to pick just one.  Heather's Christmas parties are great.  Cooking for Courtney at Christmas time is always fun. Coffee and pie after Christmas dinner while listening to the family talk and tell stories.

15. What is your favorite holiday dessert?
My Aunt Kristy's punchbowl cake had reigned supreme, and holds that rank for Christmas.  However, my aunt Debra made a pretty mean pumpkin cheesecake this year...

16. What is your favorite holiday tradition? Christmas eve at my grandmothers.  Cheese ball, soup and sweet tea.  Presents and Kristy's mouth?  What more can you ask for?

17. What tops your tree? See the above tree decorating section.

18. Which do you prefer, giving or receiving? Well there are benefits to both.  If I bought a particularly thoughtful or brilliant gift, then it's fun to watch the other person open it. 

19. What is your favorite Christmas song? God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen.

20. Candy canes: the first one of the year is good, but then you have about a trillion of them and they lie around and get nasty.

21. Favorite Christmas movie?
The Christmas Story.  However, I have to admit that I do have a special little place in my heart for Jingle All The Way and Elf.

22. What do you leave for Santa? Cookies and milk.  But he probably really needs a Pepcid AC and a class of water.

 

Feel free to copy this into the comments section and fill it out yourself...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home