Tuesday, September 28, 2004

A Common Misconception

Well I promised I'd be back on Tuesday--so here I am. I know I barely kept my word (I have 2 hours and 9 minutes).
I have two things to cover tonight. Firstly, the Bush interview on "The Factor" on Fox News. I think the interview, thus far, has been great. Just a few highlights...
First--Bush continues to slam the 527's. I cringe every time he does because, though I believe there are restrictions which could and should be placed on the groups, the thought of banning
them all together sickens me. I maintain my belief that these 527's have the same rights to free speech that we all have and it should stay that way. Sorry Mr. Bush, but I have to disagree with you...

Secondly--I didn't realize that Bill O'Reilly was such a 'hard-core,' pro-war guy. Hats off to
you, Bill!

Thirdly, President Bush continues to be slammed by the left for having "no compassion" in regards to his stance on healthcare. As I have said a million times, we do NOT need a universal
health care system. Let me spend my money how I want to spend it. The last thing we need is more government control on our lives. They can keep their hands out of my healthcare. President Bush remains strong with the same mentality. He went on to explain that he doesn't believe healthcare is a right of all people, and it is not the job of government to provide healthcare. He said that God helps those who help themselves and so should be the mentality of our healthcare system. If somebody needs help, the help is there--that is why he supports community health centers. Good job Bush!
Next on the agenda is this little video sent to me via email by an old friend. The video is about the idea that people who are convicted of felonies should be able to vote, where our system, as it stands now, bars these people from voting. The main argument of the video is that voting is a right and that one person's inability to vote for any reason is a malfunction of the system. If that
one vote doesn't count, than neither does mine (or yours etc.). The video goes on to say that
we, the American citizens, are supporting legal discrimination by allowing this trend to continue
because mose felons are black or Latino.
This is crap.
The idea that voting is a "right" is a common misconception. Voting is not a right, it is a privilege. Now many people disagree with me on that idea, but its the truth. Voting is a special privilege (and a duty) that people often take for granted. Though I could never prove it, I will stop out on
a limb and say that most of the people sitting in prisons convicted of felonies probably didn't vote before their sentencing anyway. I believe that voting is a privilege awarded to those who nobly serve society in one way or another. When an individual does something to harm the
functionality of society (i.e. committing a felony) said individual become a societal outcast so to speak. They are no longer serving a function in society and thus they have given up the right to the privileges warranted in said society. This, to me, seems quite obvious and easy to understand.
Finally, I'd like to shed a little light on the discrimination factor. What a crock?! I'm so tired of hearing about racial profiling. Did it ever occur to anyone that maybe, JUST MAYBE, more blacks and Latinos are arrested and end up in jail because more blacks and Latinos commit crimes? Is that even possible. Oh, of course not...It is, of course, a reflection of the white man's hatred for minorities. Give me a break people. I'm tired of hearing that garbage.
I'll be back tomorrow---and Thursday night (ok, probably not until Friday morning) I'll be doing my breakdown of the debate (I'll try not to be biased, but--we'll see).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home